We've come a LOOOOONG way in all this! 11 months ago I stood on my front porch at 5 am and watched him drive away from us. I distinctly remember coming back into my dark, quiet house, leaning up against my front door and thinking "Now what?" It really hit me at the point what was happening - and how long a year really was! I think I was in serious denial from the moment we found out about the deployment to the day that he left.
So what has it been like? Well...the only way I can explain how we have been getting through it is that life goes on no matter what - and we made a CHOICE everyday to be happy. Some days that decision was harder than others for sure, I'm not saying that it was all cupcakes and roses, no, it wasn't like that at all. There were definately some sad times, some scary times, some lonely times, some teary times. If you know us really well you know that there is a lot of fun and laughter in our lives, and that definately prevailed over those other times.
So, like Homer Simpsons declared, "What I'll mostly remember is the laughter."