Thursday, January 29, 2009

Alternative Therapy - Rice Filled Sock!

Am I getting old? Don't answer that! I am finding that when I go to bed at night, I am having "aches and pains" (ooh if that isn't "old people" terminology I don't know what is)

Am I getting old? (Nah) Am I working out too hard (yeawh right) or wait, oh yeah, is it because I let my daughter and son use me as a jungle gym? That may be it. Kenneth wants to be carried so much lately I fear his legs will atrophy. Julia greets me when I pick her up at school by running towards me and jumping on me. Even her teacher comments "Wow, one of these days she is going to actually knock you over." Uh, yeah.

Oh, and there are "Camel Rides" where Julia (53 lbs) and Kenneth (30lbs) BOTH climb on my back and make me walk around to their delight and glee. I was looking at Kelly for sympathy, but he just narrowed his eyes and said "Why do you let them do that to you?" I really didn't have an answer for him besides the fact that I am a total shmuck but he already knows that so I didn't need to say it out loud for him.

Ah which brings me to my hippy dippy alternative therapy - the rice filled sock. A staple in both of my pregnancies. If you do this you will never use a heating pad EVAH again. Take a long, tubular sock and fill it with rice up maybe 1/2 way (you want to leave enough space to tie off the top of the sock when you are finished.). Tie off the sock. Place in microwave for 2 minutes. (Just like McDonalds Coffee PRODUCT WILL BE VERY HOT) Sometimes it is good to let it sit for 10 min before using it.

Now you can place the sock where it is needed. I like to place a towel in between the sock and my back or wherever. It really can get that hot, I can't emphasize this enough. (If I give one to a child, I only heat it up for about 10-20 seconds and it is plenty warm.)

What is nice is that unlike a heating pad it conforms to the shape of your body, and boy does it retain it's heat for a long time. It's great to put on a sore neck as well. And it's all natural!

All I had was Basmati Rice, so I am sitting here typing with the sock in the small of my back and it smells like my favorite Indian restaurant in here. Just need some Chicken Tikka Masala and that would be the shiz.